9 Foods That Harm Your Stomach
- Milk and high-lactose dairy foods – Do you know what FOODMAPs are? According to the International Foundation for Gastrointestinal Disorders (IFFGD), a key component to keeping a happy tummy is the avoidance of a couple of foods: fermentable oligosaccharides, disaccharides, monosaccharides, and polyols: FOODMAPs. What you need to remember is that these foods are rapidly fermentable carbohydrates, which aggravate the gut. Some people aren’t so sensitive to FOODMAPs, but others develop serious effects with each exposure. Lactose can be found in all animal milk, and it’s the most famous FOODMAP.
- Excess fructose (apples, honey, asparagus) – Foods that are high in fructose are another type of FOODMAP that contribute to gas, bloating, and diarrhea, which are all extremely common in irritable bowel syndrome hallmarks. There are various researches that prove how “fructose malabsorption” can intensify IBS symptoms, and even more, restricting fructose in the diet can lead to symptom improvement.
- Garlic, onions, and high-fibre cousins – There are some foods like onions, wheat, and garlic that contain a type of fibre known as fructan. There are some people that have a hard time digesting fructan, which leads them to suffer from flatulence. Fructan, as you might have guessed, is another type of FOODMAP, so reducing it can help you avoid some GI disorders.
- Beans and nuts – Most beans are really good for your heart. But the thing is, the more you eat them, the more you might suffer from gas. Beans are gas-producing foods, like cabbage and broccoli. It has a lot to do with the bacteria in the colon and the digestion or fermentation of reminiscent food.
- Natural & artificial sweeteners – Sugar alcohols, and low-carb sweeteners might be already found in some foods and added to others. Foods that contain these sweeteners are some of the foods that are known to cause belly fat.
If you enjoyed reading this article, we also recommend reading: What’s All the Fuss About Antioxidants?