Strengthen Your Immunity with Our Berry Turmeric Smoothie Recipe
Right now, having a strong immune system is probably more important than ever. Aside from the whole COVID-19 situation which, by the way, is worse than ever before (at least in our country), we’re also facing the increase possibility of contacting the flu, colds and other viruses common to the cold season.
If you’re like me, the word ‘turmeric’ doesn’t exactly leave you drooling. But there’s a good reason why this plant has been used for thousands of years in medicine: its health properties.
Turmeric is one of the best natural sources of antioxidants, which protect you from toxic free radicals found in the environment. Simply said, these little guys protect every healthy cell in your body, thus reducing long-term risks of cancer or heart disease.
Furthermore, studies like this one have proved that the curcumin found in turmeric improves major brain functions while reducing the risk of Alzheimer’s disease.
Now that I’ve probably convinced you that you should include turmeric in your diet, let’s find out how we can enjoy its health benefits in a tasty manner.
If you’re ready, let’s shake it up and check out the recipe:
Berry Turmeric Smoothie Recipe
- 1 ½ cups berries. This flavored fruit is well-known for strengthening the immune system while reducing inflammation. In fact, you can use a mix of blueberries and raspberries since they have similar health benefits.
- ½ cup Greek yogurt. A healthy cup of yogurt provides you with probiotics which improve the digestion process and may even help you fight off symptoms of the cold or flu.
- 2 cups baby spinach. Whether we consider the vitamin C or folate content, spinach is a powerful tool to keep disease at bay while improving your immunity.
- 3 tbsp oatmeal. This is one of the best sources of fiber and therefore it provides you with extra benefits: a certain fiber found in oatmeal called beta-glucan can help you fight off infections.
- ¼ tsp ginger. This plant competes with turmeric in terms of antioxidant content and, much like the star of this recipe, it has also been used in medicine since ancient times.
- ½ tsp turmeric. Although this is the main ingredient in our smoothie, it gives a unique flavor without ruining your beverage.
- 2 tsp honey. One of the best natural sweeteners on Earth, honey helps you achieve a smooth flavor which satisfies your taste buds.
- ¾ cup vanilla almond milk. This is my personal favorite choice for this recipe as I feel it completes it perfectly, but you can opt for any type of milk you like.
Captain’s Tip: You can swap honey for agave or maple syrup for enhanced flavor – just make sure that you choose an organic option to avoid chemicals.
- Add the ingredients into a blender and blend until smooth. Enjoy!
Looking for something sweeter? This blueberry smoothie recipe might be just what you need for a fresh, flavored morning!