Shake It Up! Our Greek Yogurt Smoothie Recipe Fills You Up Instantly
Greek Yogurt is one of the best sources of protein and antioxidants. In fact, a single cup of plain Greek yogurt can help you achieve the daily recommended intake for dairy products as it packs 12 to 17.3 grams of protein.
This option is also very suitable for people suffering from lactose intolerance; that’s because Greek yogurt is much easier to digest due to the bacterial breakdown of the sugars found in milk. Additionally, this type of yogurt is filled with probiotics – the healthy bacteria that regulates the digestion process and strengthens your immune system.
Need any more reason to add Greek yogurt to your diet? This wonder food offers 18.7% of your recommended daily intake (RDI) of calcium, which is essential for building muscle and maintaining strong bones. The same serving of Greek yogurt provides you with up to 21.3% of your RDI of vitamin B-12 which is crucial for brain functions and DNA synthesis.
But eating plain Greek yogurt doesn’t sound like much fun, does it? I decided to find a way of enjoying the health benefits of this food and still enjoy a tasty experience.
If you’re ready, let’s shake it up and check out the recipe:
Greek Yogurt Smoothie
- ¾ cup plain Greek yogurt. The star of our smoothie, Greek yogurt can make every smoothie exactly what it sounds like: smooth. Extremely rich in nutrients, protein and healthy fats, this is by far one of the best ways of enriching your beverage in terms of health benefits.
- 1 medium banana. Honestly, there is no better way of making the perfect smoothie than by adding a ripe banana. This yellow fruit is packed with plenty of fiber, antioxidants and other nutrients that keep your body and taste buds happy. You can get more ripe bananas and store them in the freezer for future use. And remember: the riper the banana, the sweeter your smoothie will be!
- 1 cup strawberries. Another powerful source of antioxidants, strawberries provide you with a healthy dose of manganese, potassium and vitamin C that strengthen your immune system. Aside from adding a great color to your smoothie, this fruit also makes your beverage creamier.
- 2 tbsp oatmeal. If you’re looking for a simple way to add satiety to any smoothie, this is it. Plain oatmeal is a great source of fiber and carbohydrates that regulates your blood sugar level without sacrificing the flavor of your beverage.
- 1 tbsp peanut butter. As long as you choose a healthy product that lacks preservatives and other chemicals, peanut butter is a great source of fats. You can use peanut butter, almond butter or substitute it with sun butter. Before you opt for this ingredient, though, make sure to check out our list of 7 mistakes even YOU might make with your peanut butter.
- 1 to 2 tsp honey. This is considered one of the best natural sweeteners in the world – and for good reason. Natural honey is extremely rich in antioxidants that help you fight off disease and strengthen your immune system.
- Add the ingredients into a blender and blend until smooth. Enjoy!
Looking for something different? Our delicious cherry smoothie recipe kickstarts your day with the right flavor and just enough nutrients!